Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Rollercoaster

















There's something really great about how certain wooden velodromes resemble old rollercoasters and fairground rides, because really, racing around a wooden track with a bunch of friends, feeling the gravity when you're right in the turn, the roar and noise of the pack as it passes the crowd, is there another sport which so perfectly evokes an old-fashioned thrill ride?

Photo by James Deavin, available here.

Thanks to AndrewFY for the headsup!

2 comments:

gavin said...

bought!

Anonymous said...

The first velodrome I rode was the in Dieppe, New Brunswick. I remember pulling into the parking lot and seeing this huge wooden structure. Like nothing I had ever seen. Then getting closer I heard that sound that everyone who has rode a wooden track knows. The clattering of the boards as ten riders pull through the corner. Amazing. It was then I was hooked.