Tuesday, August 27, 2013

T-Town

Is this thing still on??

So, yeah, I haven't updated the blog in a year. Plus I moved it back to its original blogspot address, so now no one can find it, even if they wanted to. Which they don't. I mean, with Prolly and Kyle and Andy still putting up such great stuff, and with amazing pro-centric blogs like Cycling Tips, what the hell do you need me for? You don't. Exactly. And in the meantime I've been busy finally writing that dissertation. Soon you'll have to call me Doctor, and won't that be nice for all concerned?

Anyway, I live in the Lehigh Valley now. It's been a big change from Chicago. But, what this place lacks in certain things (walkable amenities, coffee shops, shops of any type) it more than makes up for with its cycling scene. When I moved here I had a vague sense that the area was good for cycling, but I didn't know it would be this good. You want varied terrain for road riding? We've got that. You want world class mountain bike trails? Got 'em. Want a ridiculous cyclocross scene, complete with weekly beer-fueled night races? Yep. Want the best fucking velodrome ever? Yeah, we've got that too.

The T-Town crowd watching a Pro Women points race. (photo by me)


The Valley Preferred Cycling Center, colloquially known as T-Town, was founded in 1974 by Bicycling Magazine publisher Bob Rodale. The track has produced a ton of Olympic talent over the years, including its current Executive Director Marty Nothstein, winner of the sprint Gold at the 2000 Olympics and a bunch of World Championship titles. There's a lot of history at this track, and it is an incredible track: 333 meters long, steep but smooth, and fast as hell.

 Pro Men line up. (photo by me)
They host a ton of race nights and training programs for different levels, and they even let a lunatic like me race in the Cat4s on Saturdays, the fools. Friday night is where it's at, though. That's the Pro race night, featuring male and female pros and national-squad riders from all over the world.

Two riders make a break for it in a Pro Women scratch race. (photo by me)

A rider makes a move on the outside during the Pro Men scratch race. (photo by me)


 It's $5 in, there is stadium seating giving you fantastic views of all the action, beer is cheap, and there are often thousands of spectators creating a great atmosphere. Getting to see track racing at this level, every week, is insane. Want to see current Olympians from Poland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Australia, Great Britain, Trinidad, Argentina, and the USA go head-to-head? No probs.

Men's Keirin start, with the riders fighting for position behind the motorbike. (photo by me)


If you live anywhere nearby, and I mean if you live anywhere within a two-hour drive, you have to check out T-Town. If not to race yourself, then to watch some of the fastest track cyclists in the world while getting tanked on cheap micro-brews and eating gourmet hot dogs. That's right, even the hot-dogs are fucking phenomenal. Guess it's not so bad here after all!

2 comments:

Ramon Jacquez said...

You are right, it was hard to find you but dont stop now, the latest post has some great photos and commentary. Those other dudes don't cover what you cover. Sure they make hats and socks and other stuff to generate hits and revenue but you shouldnt stop doing what youre doing.I mean the blog I started in 2007 stopped when I moved to SF and thats when it should have picked up. You moved to what seems like an ideal location for what you do here. Keep the blog going is all im saying.
Cheers!
Ramon
RubberSideDown

Danger said...

Bring back Hipster Nascar!