Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Wilier Tragedy!

I'm not a snob. At least, I'm not a snob about bikes. People can ride whatever they want to, and good luck to them. Track bikes on the street? Fine. Time trial bars on a cruiser? Grand. Risers with a drop stem? I actually think that looks good. But I draw the line at stupidity and ignorance. If you want a riser bar and deep v hipster bike, then just buy a cheap track frame and do it up, but don't fucking destroy a beautiful and rare vintage track frame! Jesus!! This was just brought to my attention, and I'm raging.

Before:
After:

ARGH!! I think I'm taking it so badly because I absolutely love Wiliers, and I know that late 70s Wilier track frames aren't very common. But also, just from an objective standpoint, it's offensive! Look at how beautiful that bike used to be, and look at how boring it is now. It looks like every other bike on the street: colourmatched deep vs, risers, ourys. It boggles the mind. How could anyone do this? How could someone look at that gorgeous vintage Wilier and think to themselves "Yeah, it's alright, but I think it would look better black." What has gone wrong with the world? Thanks to Brandon and FixedGearGallery for ruining my morning.

To the bloke who did this: you are a wanker.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

old news...move along.

Simon said...

So sorry, but we don't all camp out on bfssfg.

Anonymous said...

One day we will be restoring things to their former glory, like stripping layers of lead paint from a solid core 19th century oak door. It'll be called "This Old Bike" and broadcast nationwide on PBS.

Simon said...

I would watch that.

Anonymous said...

this is a travesty.

Anonymous said...

This is when you know things have gone wrong.

But I really do love your tags, they're hilarious.

Unknown said...

Sad oh so sad. Picture has even been posted on our danish messenger site - Fixie-king.dk
That guy has succesfully destroyed a beautiful bike