Wednesday, October 22, 2008

L'Eroica

L'Eroica is a race for vintage bikes (and riders, from the looks of it) that takes place on the chalky white gravel roads of the Chianti area of Tuscany, Italy. Riders come from all over the world to tackle the hills on their vintage bikes, most in full period costume. Check out these great photos of the 2008 edition.

Period correct, down to the shoes. Photo by Kay.

Tackling the hills in matching vintage gear. Photo by Kay.

Even the feed stations are vintage! Photo by Kay.

This guy looks like he's working hard. Sweet Colnago and Salvarani jersey, though. Photo by Kay.

Dude, you're blowing it with the whole cell-phone thing! Photo by Kay.

This guy is great: straight out of the early decades of competitive cycling, complete with single-speed bike (possibly fixed) spare tyres wrapped around his shoulders (which also helped protect against broken collarbones), les bidons and aviator-style goggles. Plus, a moustache. Killer. Photo by Kay.

I'm sorry, are you from the past? Photo by Kay.

Look at these guys. They have absolutely no idea how hip they are. Effortless. There are people in SF, Chicago and NY who would kill to look this good. I choose to believe they dress like this on a daily basis. Photo by Kay.

So, there you have it, L'Eroica, a race I am now absolutely committed to doing at least once in my life. Of course, I'll have to put together a decent vintage road bike first, which, given my general lack of funds will probably take years, so I'll probably be as old as these dudes when I manage it, but still, it's going to happen. It looks like so much fun. Thanks to Kay for the awesome photos. Check out more of his great cycling photos here, and to get more details about L'Eroica go here.

7 comments:

Angelo R. said...

love it.

iamameatpopsicle said...

this race would be more aptly named "L'Erotica"

NG said...

This is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Great ride with a lot of spirit. All the old guys with small jerseys. But the old guys can fool you. Riding up 15% grade on gravel 42/27 gearing. They are hell. It was a lot of fun. I rode the 135km route and it took about 10 hours. I'm just not use to riding on dirt/gravel roads with skinny tires. Very scary. The half on paved roads went by so quickly it seemed that the whole ride was on the gravel. Intense.
On the 135km over 70km on this stuff. You have to do it at least once in your life.

Simon said...

Thanks for the mini-report, anon. It sounds like a great ride, I really want to do it.

Anonymous said...

I rode the event in 2006 & 2007 and it was an absolute blast. The 135 KM was a bit daunting for me so I chose the 75K and completed the course in a little over six hours. Believe me that I was in no hurry as the sights of Tuscany were splendid. I will return to Gaiole in Chianti.

Mikey Schmidt

EHC said...

Dude, if you aren't going to ride it till you are old, then just save your road bike from now, and in 20 years, its vintage. Problem solved.