Friday, May 21, 2010

PDW 3wrencho Review


The fine folks over at Portland Design Works were kind enough to send over one of their new multi-tools for a little field research. I've been using it for over a month now and it has been absolutely great. Unlike a lot of multi-tools, the 3wrencho is not overly complicated and chock-full of features to the point of hindering it's actual use. All too often I've gone to use a combo tool and it's designed to do so much, that it in fact does nothing all that well. That's certainly not the case with the 3wrencho. It's simple, utilitarian, comfortable, bombproof, and most importantly- it works great. I've long used Pedro's Milk levers as my go-to tire lever in my shop, but after some time with the 3wrencho, it has officially taken over at my lever of choice. The steel lever makes light work of even the most stubborn tire/rim combos (I'm looking at you Campy/Gommitalia!) and the plastic coating leaves rims unscathed. The 15mm wrench is small enough that it fits easily in a jersey pocket, but still is just long enough to give you the right amount of leverage to get tight axle bolts off. It also has just enough of an angle that you won't bust your knuckles when the nut comes loose.


Admittedly, the most use my 3wrencho has seen been for an unintended purpose- beer opening!


Really one of my favorite things about PDW however, is the fact that they are taking the time to produce products that not only work great, but actually look great at the same time. They put effort in to creating a sharp looking product right down to the packaging.

It's really refreshing. Their line of pumps are great and I definitely plan on using some of their speed metal grips on a build or two down the road.

Grab a 3wrencho here and be sure to check out the rest of their line of products here.

No comments: