Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Chris Hoy Out of Worlds!

Chris Hoy crossing the line to win a keirin heat during the recent World Cup in Copenhagen. Photo: Bryn Lennon/Getty Images

Bad news for fans of British track cycling, and fans of track cycling in general really, because Chris Hoy is withdrawing from the 2009 Track Cycling World Championships, happening later this month in Poland. It seems that the injuries he sustained in the crash in Copenhagen were a little more serious than originally thought. British Cycling team doctor Roger Palfreeman told BikeRadar that "it's called a degloving injury and it's when the skin and the underlying tissue and fat get separated from the underlying muscle." GAH! That sounds really pleasant. I've decided to give up cycling and stay indoors wrapped in cotton wool and blankets from now on. Cheers, Dr. Palfreeman!

Get well soon Chris Hoy, and thanks to Val for another Hoy-based heads up. Anyone would think you were stalking him...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice blog
Paid Online surveys

Anonymous said...

ouch, that sounds nasty... but it will heal soon enough, and he'll be back on track.

Ashley said...

That's really unfortunate. I just took up cycling in the past year (I'm training for an olympic tri) and my biggest fear is crashing my bike!

Random said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I've been trying to find a good source of track race videos. Any suggestions?

Also, will there be on-line video coverage of the Championships? I couldn't find any information on streaming at their website.

Simon Ovidiu said...

I like this blog it is really great, you can learn a lot of things about sport and not only, about the people who are practicing it.
Visit my blog

Simon said...

Alex and Anders: yeah, he'll be back, but how weird will it be watching him race not wearing the rainbow?

Ashley: don't let people like Dr. Palfreeman get you down! What does he know? Pfft, he's only a doctor. Just keep the rubber side down.

Anon: For videos and coverage of the Worlds,check out TrackCyclingWorld and cycling.tv. Also, I'll be posting news results and photos here!

Val said...

(Sorry, I deleted my previous comment, sorry for making a mess of your blog Simoune)

Haha! I think the winter has allowed me to keep very, very up to date on international track racing.

Andrew said...

wow, google imaging degloving results in some very disgusting pictures. i hope he's alright.

Simon said...

Why the hell would you google something like that??

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Anonymous said...

Cool Blog!