Friday, May 2, 2008

A Race Report for a Race I Did Not Do.

Road racing is a total freaking mystery to me. I mean, I like it, I watch it, but I haven’t ever done it. It’s clearly very different from track racing, so I’m not sure how I’d take to it. Last weekend I went up to the Withnall Park Criterium in Wisconsin with Henry, Chris, Aaron, Ben and Andrew of Team Pegasus. They all raced, along with some of the MKE Pegasi, while I ran around taking photos.
Henry and Ben warming up before the race.

It was a technical course, not your average criterium, with some tough hills and tight turns. The mens’ 4/5 field was big, around 80 riders. The hills just exploded the field early on, and by the time the leaders came around to complete the second lap there were riders strung out along the whole course. A big leading group of about 20 riders, which included Chris and Henry of Pegasus and a couple of Cuttin’ Crew guys set up a really strong pace and began lapping riders early.

Henry and Chris driving the pace.

Chris decided to go for the King of the Mountains prize, which meant going for points at the top of one of the climbs. He won all three point laps, and won KOM. Plus, dude was up there in the leading group for the whole race, attacking and driving the pace. Good job, Chris!

Chris in the pack.

Aaron's race face. Check the Cipo style arm warmers!

On the final lap, I knew that either Henry or Chris would be in contention. As the group came up the final hill toward the finish line, I could see Henry’s crazy sprinting face as he gunned it, but I couldn’t see Chris. Apparently Chris had led Henry out, but they’d made their move a tiny bit too early. Chris burned out, and Henry didn’t quite have it. He still did great, and got 9th in the sprint. The race was won by the talented but incredibly irritating Stanley of Chicago Cuttin’ Crew. He did an incredible job in the sprint, hammering around the outside of the group and winning it on the line. Good job, Stan! Hey, did you puke? Kidding!

Henry getting 9th.

The race winner - Stanley of Chicago Cuttin' Crew.

That was the race. I talked to Luke from xXx a bit, and then we hung out with the CCC guys and the MKE Pegasi. It took forever for Chris to pick up his KOM prize, and in the meantime the mens’ 3s started, so we cheered Lyle on for a few laps, then went for burgers at some creepy burger factory called Kopps. Chris’ outfit confused the locals. On the ride home we made fun of Henry for liking nerdcore. Ah, happy days. It’s good to be back in Chicago.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

those arm warmers are killer...perkins is not gonna be happy aaron is biting his style...ha!

~j.dot

Chris said...

that was probably the most fun i have ever had at a crit. fantastic time. just wish i could've gotten henry closer to the finish.

Simon said...

Perkins and style in the same sentence. Does not compute. Wasn't he a Vice Don't or something? Ha!

Chris, the race looked like a lot of fun, plus hanging out afterwards was a laugh.

Unknown said...

Well. I figured I could keep this secret until now. It's good to have a sense of humor right?

Good thing Vice never got wind of this

Good job to Chris...biter. Haha!

Unknown said...

Oh wait, that was Aaron biting my style. Ben is taking the zebra stripes I guess Chris was simply eating those hills up.

Hey Simon! By the way!

...welcome back!

Unknown said...

Ben who? Ben Fietz

Simon said...

Hey Jeff! I was hoping to see you at the race, but it wasn't to be. Then I saw you downtown, but you had your game face on so I didn't want to interrupt. I hope all is well!

dane said...

so good! it was great seeing you!

Elizabeth said...

Glad to hear you found Kopps Creepy. Did you feel like you were in a slightly more artistic soviet union? Was the wall of water turned on?

Simon said...

At the time, I think someone said it was like being in the movie Pleasantville. But, the burgers were good, so thanks for the recommendation!