Thursday, May 1, 2008

Yet Another Cyclist Killed in Chicago

I can't believe it... Another cyclist has been killed in Chicago, the second in ten days. Amanda Annis, a 24 year old 5th grade teacher, was struck and killed by a car in the Logan Square neighbourhood yesterday. I am stunned. What is going on?? I don't want to put up another post like this ever again. Please, everyone ride safe. Assume drivers can't see you. Make eye contact. Signal. Wear a helmet. My thoughts are with her family and friends.

[update] The Chicago Tribune is now reporting that the driver may have run a red light when he struck and killed Amanda...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

She was dedicated experienced cyclist. She rode her bike everyday to work.We will miss her dearly.

Simon said...

I am so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

even if you make eye contact don't trust that they won't hit you I made that mistake and the blind bitch hit me and she took off and someone got the licence plate but it was a cops wife so you know what happened to her ?... NOTHING!! sorry to hear about the teacher I hope the driver is not a cops wife.

spacemodular said...

This is yet another senseless tragic loss. I never knew her, but being a bicyclist I am always sad to hear this kind of news.

People wear helmets and lights! Use lights during the daytime as well as night. Dress to be seen on your bike. There are so many incompetent distracted motorists who don't care about anything except their petty conveniences. So be aware and aggressive in your safety when riding. Arrive Alive! Be Careful people!

I hope the judge throws the book at this guy. He should go to jail for this kind of behavior. So sad...

Simon said...

Just a quick clarification. I in no way intended to suggest, in my original post, that Amanda wasn't riding safely or wearing a helmet. I just wanted to encourage other people to ride as safely as possible.

Unfortunately, in this case, it seems that Amanda did everything right. And yet she still paid for the negligence of the driver with her life. It is absolutely tragic.