Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Chicago Cyclist Killed After Being Doored

Clinton Miceli, a 22 year old graphic designer, was killed this month after being struck by a car door that someone opened in his path. The Chicago Tribune reported that Clinton "struck the SUV's door, flew off his bike and was run over by a passing vehicle that eventually stopped. He suffered severe head injuries and was pronounced dead Monday night at Northwestern Memorial Hospital." He was the second Chicago area cyclist killed in as many days, bringing the number of cyclists killed on the streets of Chicago this year to at least seven... It's hard to keep track... And then, just the other day, a friend of mine and xXx rider Robin was doored as she rode along the street. The impact threw her into one of the steel columns that supports the El tracks, and she was left with broken ribs and other injuries. I mean, she was literally left, lying in the street; the bastard who opened the door in her path fled the scene without checking to see if she was okay. Unbelievble. Get well soon, Robin.

Shocked by Clinton's death, some people on ChiFG.com have started work on an anti-dooring campaign, to raise awareness of the vulnerability of cyclists and to try to get people to check their mirrors before they open their car doors. ChiFG member TrinedyN made this design, which will hopefully be made into stickers and flyers. I'll post more info as the campaign progresses.


[update] In response to my post about his death, Clinton Miceli’s sister Keiko sent me this email:

“I saw you posted a blog this morning about the Chicago biker who was doored and killed... Clint was my brother. I just thought I would let you know that Clint did ride a fixed gear, and that was the bike he was riding when he was killed. Some people are posting online that my brother was an idiot to have a bike that doesn’t have brakes, but actually Clint's bike had a front brake, and anyway the witnesses said that he didn’t even have time to try to stop…

I want people to know the truth. Clint was wearing his helmet, and he had a flashing light on the back of his bike and a flashing light on his backpack strap on the front of his body. The newspaper article says that they cannot confirm if he was wearing a helmet, but the police report says he was, plus he told me he always wore it, and all his co-workers and neighbours said anytime they saw him riding he had the helmet on. According to witnesses, the helmet got ripped off when the car hit him, which may be why they can't confirm he had it on. By the time the cops got there, a man had gathered Clint's bike, bag, glasses, and helmet and set them on the sidewalk. But I believe that in 99 out of 100 crashes, a helmet will make a difference.

My family wants to spread the message about looking in your mirror and also wearing a helmet. Clint was really big on wearing a helmet when he biked. I wish we didn’t have to pay so high a price for people to listen to the message though.

It really means a lot to me and my family and Clint's friends that so many people are rallying behind him. It is frustrating that he wasn't doing anything wrong, and he still died. But that seems to be the case with bikers..."

More details on the anti-dooring campaing to follow. Everyone ride safe, and remember Clinton in your thoughts.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This needs to stay at the top of your blog, and every other cyclists blog.

Rachel said...

Thanks, Simon. I'll follow suit.

Ethan Laek said...

so sad... My condolences to all involved.

Anonymous said...

Terrible to hear this such thing has happened once again. I want to hear more about this campaign after it starts.

Jeff and Debi said...

Perhaps a jersey, with the image on the back large enough for drivers to read, would be a good idea. I would buy one for sure, and wear it every day I commute to work.

Anonymous said...

this is incredibly sad news and my heart goes out to the family all of you who knew him.

Also, is Robin ok? is this the same Robin who moved to chicago about a year ago from boston? if its the same person, she's an incredibly wonderful girl, and she's pretty tough. i really hope she's gonna be ok.

Simon said...

Dan, yes, it must be the same Robin, she moved here from Boston last year. She's doing okay, apparently, and is recovering at her parents' house. I'll tell her you were asking after her.

A.V. said...

Hi, I am a student at Columbia and I am writing a piece about "dooring." Would you send me Clinton's sister email so I can contact her?

Thanks

Alex
(av2396@columbia.edu)

Unknown said...

Hi,

Thank you for this post. In light of Friday morning's tragic dooring of Neill Townsend some of us over on a Chainlink discussion forum are thinking of updating the anti-dooring sticker posted here and using it in a flyer to be handed out at a memorial for Neill next Friday at the scene of the accident. Would that be okay? Would you or the woman who designed like to be a part of this effort?

Thanks,
KristyLapidus@gmail.com