Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Hello, I am in Venezuela.

Yes, you read that right.

Amy and I are in Caracas, Venezuela! We're here so that Amy can do her dissertation research on the Venezuelan public healthcare system. I'm just along for the ride, basically. We had a mental week, which consisted of packing to move here for a year, moving everything else out of our apartment and into a storage space, and saying goodbye to some of the greatest people ever. Our going away party was a blast. $15 all-you-can-drink and a loose Aerospoke makes for a good night out.


I'm going to miss everyone a lot. They're a bunch of degenerates and elitist misanthropes in the main, but they're good craic, and a few of them even know how to ride bikes. They got me a Campagnolo peanut butter wrench as a going away present. They even got my name engraved on it.


Classic!

Well, that's it for now. We only arrived a few hours ago, but the place we're staying at has WiFi so I thought I'd do a quick update before I crash. Coming soon: photos of me trying to re-assemble our road bikes; a report on how much my shitty wheels flex on Caracas hill climbs; more race reports from last summer's track season which are kind of made up because I can't really remember that long ago; and any random rubbish I feel like writing.

5 comments:

Ben said...

Glad you made it safely! Take a whole lot of pictures of the cool places you get to ride and make me envious! Hope the transition goes smoothly!

Rachel said...

They're a bunch of degenerates and elitist misanthropes in the main, but they're good craic, and a few of them even know how to ride bikes.

Ha!

I am so excited for you two.

Simon said...

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to take photos Ben, actually I've already seen a bunch of guys on mountain bikes and BMXes, so I'll try to get some shots for you.

j.dot said...

mountain biking is HUGE in latin america...something to consider for your next study. also, i wonder if im the only one that tries to imagine you reading the blog...peace.

Amy Cooper said...

Nice post, nice bike wheel photo... but the labels/tags are the true winners.