Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Rear Triangle Fail?

I know I'm a little late to this particular piece of internet bike drama, but what the hell is going on here? These are pictures of the rear triangle of the Leader 721TR. Notice the way each rear wheel is right at the tip of the track ends? That's because there isn't enough clearance between the wheel and the seat-tube to fit the wheel in any other way. You either have it right at the end, or not at all.





I noticed this when someone posted a picture of a 721TR on chifg, so I checked out some more reports of weird spacing over on bfssfg. Now, I don't know all the details, but it seems that at various points someone at Leader tried to claim that the rear triangle was designed to be this way because, apparently, track bikes have tiny clearances and this bike was designed for use with thin tubulars only... haha, yeah, right! They've also apparently said that it was a manafacturing error which will be corrected in their next batch. So, which is it? Design feature or mistake? And, is it really that big a deal anyway? Does anyone have a newer 721TR, and is the problem fixed?

Sorry to everyone whose photos I ganked from bfssfg. I didn't note the names, so if you see your photo on here, drop me a line so I can credit you. Thanks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

my question is...why would you build up your sh*t after you knew it was sh*tty? all those pics look like cats took the time to find the right wheels and color combos...wtf?! i would have sent my sh*t back right away...but thats me...peace.

Simon said...

They're a super cheap frame, so I get the feeling they're like "My First Track Bike" to a lot of people. Maybe they don't realize that the wheel shouldn't have to be at the end of the forks like that? I mean, I probably wouldn't have realized that when I started out, and really, I probably wouldn't have expected a company to put out a frame with a completely fucked rear triangle...

Ben VC said...

Ya know as much as I like to hate on the internet, the triangle isn't 'completely fucked' because you have to have the wheel all the way back in the stays. Granted it should be changed to give people more room to work with and not look dumb, but it's still totally safe and rideable the way it is.

Simon said...

That's true Ben, but a bike that necessitates the use of a half-link chain, and necessitates the wheel at the tip of the fork ends, is fucked in my opinion. I mean, you probably won't die riding it, but what kind of company actually lets a frame like this get produced and distributed on a mass scale?

Anonymous said...

721 = crap, 725 & 735 decent.

Anonymous said...

"What kind of company...?" Indeed!

I'm sick of these johnny come lately companies that have no experience, do almost no research... Just a businessman with a loan and connections in Asia, wanting to make a few bucks at the expense of quality... and who pays for it in the long run?